A mountain bike can be a valuable asset when it comes to getting around town or a college campus. Designed especially for travel that is off the road. Most types of mountain bikes carry many similarities but do incorporate different enhancements for different riding terrains. Not all mountain bikes are the same, it is always best to do some research before attempting to purchase a mountain bike. Here are seven best mountain bikes reviews that might catch your interest and give you a good idea of what you should expect and need, when it comes to understanding how to make the correct purchase.
Top 7 Best Mountain Bikes Deals
Best Mountain Bikes That You Need To Know
Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Complete Mountain Bike
The Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hard Tail Complete Mountain Bike is easy to assemble and is an excellent ride and is comfortable for the rider. The seat is a good fit but may need to be upgraded depending on how the rider is on the terrain. It may be a little too heavy, and the brake pads will need to be upgraded. The front shocks work well for the bike but they don’t lock out, and the plastic guard on the bike may cause trouble and can easily break with rough riding. The tires are solid and give good traction on the road and more moderate terrains. The rims give the tires excellent support. The bike needs to be upgraded with disc brakes to increase the control over stopping.
Overall, this bike is good for a beginner but will need modifications for those who are constant riders. This bike is good for commuting and does provide excellent control and handling. There is a downside to this mountain bike, it doesn’t have a kickstand, but that is one of the few. It does need to have upgraded equipment if it is to be used for more strenuous riding, depending on the individual.back to menu ↑
Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike (26-Inch Wheels, Red) has a front wheel disc brake combined with a rear alloy V-brake, allowing the bike to have good braking ability while on many types of terrain. The Schwinn Protocol has a full suspension frame with a front suspension fork providing a comfortable, reliable, and easily controllable ride. The Protocol has Shimano EZ-fire trigger 24-speed shifters with a Shimano rear derailleur giving the rider a smooth wide gear range while traveling. The knobby tires are supported by durable alloy rims. The Schwinn alloy crank provides less maintenance and optimal gearing.
The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike is a good riding bike that provides low maintenance and works to keep it at its top performance. The weight of the bike is a bit too high and it doesn’t have a bottle holder. The rear shock may need to be upgraded depending upon how the rider drives the bike. The bike is an easy setup and gives great control while riding on many types of surfaces. The Schwinn Protocol is a good choice for those looking for something strong, durable, that they can handle when riding around.back to menu ↑
Merax Finiss Mountain Bike with Disc Brakes
The Merax Finiss 26″ Aluminum 21 Speed Mountain Bike with Disc Brakes has a light-weight aluminum mountain frame that is heat treated. The Merax has doubled walled twenty-six inch aluminum rims that allow the rider to have a comfortable easy ride on the terrain. The derailleurs and shifters on this bike feature a Shimano 21-Speed for a balanced reliable ride. This mountain bike also provides excellent braking with front and rear mechanical disc brakes and with an 80mm fork suspension, the ride will be easy going allowing for increased control. The Merax comes in the colors of gray and green.
The Merax Finiss is a great bike with an excellent ride, but it does have an issue with the front shock. The bike is quite durable and the gears when tuned correctly give the rider good control. The seat provides a comfortable feel and this mountain bike is an excellent choice, but adjustments will need to be made to ensure a perfect ride. In the end, this bike is a good choice to purchase but will need corrective maintenance in order to make it more compatible for a rider.back to menu ↑
Mongoose Stasis Comp Full Suspension Mountain Bicycle
The Mongoose Stasis Comp 26-Inch Full Suspension Mountain Bicycle, Matte Red, 18-Inch Frame/ Medium provides a comfortable ride with an aluminum full suspension frame with a front suspension fork. This mountain bike also features a rear 21 speed Shimano derailleur with added on SRAM twist shifters. For unbeatable stopping ability, this bike has front and rear disk brakes and has alloy wheels that provide a quick release. In a nutshell, this bike is good for handling and is very maneuverable for performing bike tricks and stunts.
The Mongoose Stasis Comp 26-Inch Full Suspension Mountain Bicycle is light weight and flexible when on any type of terrain. This bike gives the rider a comfortable and relaxed ride on the most rugged of trails and roads. The Mongoose gives the rider the ability to perform the most challenging of maneuvers and gives a lightweight durability with the correct weight ratio. For security, this bike has a front wheel that is easy to disconnect from the bike. This bike is recommended for those who are riders with a height of five foot and three inches and over. Check the brake pads to make sure that they are not damaged and you may need special tools to assemble the bike.back to menu ↑
Northwoods Aluminum Full Suspension Mountain Bike
The Northwoods Aluminum Full Suspension Mountain Bike has a full suspension frame made from aluminum with a 50mm steel cork fork and 24-inch alloy rims for the wheels. This mountain bike has twenty-one speed twist shifters installed that provide the bike with great handling and a Shimano Rear Derailleur. This well-crafted bike also has a crank-steel triple for extra durability when riding over specific terrains. The rider has the option of different colors and can choose to have the bike in green or gray.
The Northwoods Aluminum Full Suspension Mountain Bike provides a good ride with a light frame and good performance. This bike performs as well as its expensive counterparts but does need to have slight adjustments when it comes to the gears on the bike. Handlebar adjustment can be difficult, as well as other joints located on the bike, and must be checked to guarantee that they are secure enough for travel. Make sure that everything is set and put together properly, or this mountain bike can cause serious problems for the rider. Overall, this bike is a good choice for those who are interested in riding a mountain bike for the first time.back to menu ↑
Kent Thruster KZ2600 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
The Kent Thruster KZ2600 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike is well built with an aluminum MTB frame with a 26-inch full suspension and a 65mm travel suspension fork. It also has a Shimano 21 speed shifter that has a Rear Tourney Derailleur that adds to the reliability of this bike when on rough terrain or the road. The bike has good stopping power with front and rear linear pull brakes installed and alloy rims for added strength for the tires when moving across a rough surface.
The Kent Thruster KZ2600 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike features a drive train that is a strong V-shaped rim profile with high flange alloy hubs. This is a good bike for what it offers, and the cost is well within an affordable range, but other bikes can be purchased with more convenient options. Problems could arise from the ride because the bike doesn’t carry Breakaway hangers in the back that help to avoid damage to the frame if you perform advanced bike riding tricks. The derailleur that is located in the front does have noise issues and the bike is slightly too heavy, but can be overlooked due to is stability and control.back to menu ↑
Roadmaster Granite Peak Boys Mountain Bike
The 24 inch Roadmaster Boys Mountain Bike Granite Peak is durable with a rugged steel frame that has a suspension fork that offers a smooth and relaxing ride when moving across the terrain. The Roadmaster, with Shimano hardware, boasts 18 speeds. The bike incorporates a SRAM drive, providing a balanced ride with a delicate precision when shifting. Stopping the bike is accomplished with front and rear linear pull brakes. The bike has alloy rims with 24-inch knobby mountain tires to provide good traction while riding and a well padded adjustable seat for comfort. You can get this bike in gray, black, and orange.
The 24 inch Roadmaster Granite Peak Men’s Mountain Bike provides a good stable ride when in use, but is slightly heavy and does take some work to finally get everything to run smoothly. This bike is perfect for children, but adults can also ride it without discomfort. The 24 inch Roadmaster Granite Peak Boys is somewhat difficult to assemble, but is strong and rugged and will last for the lifetime of the rider. This bike is an excellent choice for someone who is just getting started with riding a mountain bike.back to menu ↑
How to Buy the Best Mountain Bikes
When deciding to purchase a mountain bike, it is best to do a lot of research to make sure that you have the correct one. First, start with the above bike list and check out the selection to see if anything catches your interest. Consider the type, design, and what you will be using the bike for when riding. If not sure what type of riding will be done on the bike, then it may be best to purchase a standard mountain bike. The regular mountain bike can be used to study and practice tricks and to figure out what type of riding you will be performing before upgrading to something more expensive.
The internet can be an excellent place to start your research. See what types of bikes are offered and look at the prices to see what fits into your budget. Another question you may want to ask, is why are you getting involved in this sport and what are your goals and expectations?
Used bikes are also another way to go when trying to find a mountain bike that is in your price range. Discuss your interest with others you may know who are avid mountain bike riders. They may be able to give you some good advice and to steer you in the right direction.back to menu ↑
Six Things to Look For When Buying the best Mountain Bikes
Here are six things that you may want to consider when purchasing a mountain bike.
- Price – Think about the price of the bike and set a limit for yourself. There are a lot of bikes that have high price ranges and can cost a considerable amount of money. It is best to put your money in a good bike that will last for a long time than to purchase lower end bikes that will have to be replaced every year or less.
- Brakes – Brakes are an important item on a mountain bike and quality is very important. Disc brakes offer the highest in performance but they will cost more. A low-cost solution is rim brakes, but they are less efficient when it comes to stopping the bike, especially when you are going downhill.
- Shifters – Shifters come in two types, Rapidfire and Gripfit. More experienced riders tend to lean more towards the Rapidfire. The Rapidfire shifters can be found under the brake lever on the bike, while the Gripfits are located on the handlebars.
- Tires – Tires must be chosen according to the type of riding that will be done with the bike. Large knob tires are used for more off road riding and smaller ones for paved riding. If one is going to ride on and off road, then use tires that have a middle ridge and knob tires that are medium sized.
- Size – Check out the size and fit of the bike and make sure that it is the correct one for you. Check to see if the bike has the correct design for the type of riding that you are going to be doing. You need to guarantee that the frame will be able to withstand the terrain that the bike is riding on.
- Another thing that must be explored is the type of specialized bike that is going to be used.
Different Types of Mountain Bikes For Very Different Needs
There are four types of specialized bikes that one can purchase:
- Cross country bikes are light and fast, They are built with aluminum and carbon fiber and can be used with many types of different terrains.
- Downhill bikes are specially designed for downhill riding and are built from lightweight frames with dual suspension installed which can handle rough terrain.
- All Mountain bikes are for people who are going to use their bikes for general riding, mountain, and trail conditions. These bikes have a good balance between comfort and control.
- Free Ride bikes are for those who are rough riders and need a bike that can handle the pressure of rigorous riding and stunts. The bike is rugged and strong and may not be so easy to pedal to the top of a hill, but the bike will have no problem when it comes time to come down.
Finding Best Mountain Bikes Size For Your Safety & Comfort
Safety is important when riding a mountain bike. When checking out the bike for safety it is best to consider these following points:
- In order to get a good match on the bike, it is best to check the inseam measurement. This will be able to give an accurate reading in order to make a good match for the person and the bike.
- Make sure that the bike is the right size for you as different sizes match different people. Not having the correct size can cause problems for a rider.
- The bike should be comfortable for the rider and at the same time, it doesn’t compromise the control over the bike or its handling.
back to menu ↑
There are some things to consider before becoming fully involved in the sport of riding mountain bikes. The challenges and risks are different for each rider.
9 Things to Expect When Riding Your Mountains Bike
Consider these nine things when you are starting to ride a mountain bike.
- It is a very physical and intensely active sport that may cause parts of your body to become very sore especially your skin, hands, legs, arms, and feet. There is equipment that can be purchased to help reduce the risk and protect those parts of your body. A helmet is an important part of your equipment that is needed to protect your head so make sure to get a good one. The next item on the list is gloves. These items will your hands to endure the harsh bumps that they will be inflicted with while riding rough terrain and on the roads. Purchase shorts or clothes that will make riding easier on your bottom area. Get mountain bike shoes when riding. They will be able to help your feet depending on the surface that you are riding on. Use eye protection when riding on your bike and remember to remain hydrated. Always take a water bottle with you while traveling on your mountain bike.
- Known that your skills will be developing while riding as there will be people to always give good advice, tricks, and instructions. Think of a positive aspect to make gains in your development.
- Look forward to seeing a better aspect of nature in its panoramic display. Learn to appreciate the world around you and enjoy riding your mountain bike.
- Make sure to have sunscreen because the sun will be steadily on your skin and can cause sunburn and other complications.
- The first ride will be the most difficult before and after. You will feel the anticipation in your body as you try to accomplish the course and to stay on target. You will also feel it afterward as your body will ache and be sore.
- Practice a good trail that will test your endurance and give you a good work out after riding your mountain bike.
- Always be prepared for an issue if it should arise during your journeys. Don’t let these setbacks ruin your positive attitude about mountain biking.
- Expect to follow rules sometimes depending on where you are biking. Certain areas that may allow people to mountain bike may have restrictions for riders. Make sure to check and to see what the rules are before riding in those locations.
- Remember that mountain biking is a step by step process as you work on your skills and perfect them. The more you ride, the more you will enjoy this sport.
Mountain Bike Guide – Simple Beginner Skills To Learn
Things to consider when you are just beginning to learn how to start riding a mountain bike:
- You can practice anywhere that you have the space to ride and practice your skills on the mountain bike.
- Make sure that you have mastered the skills that you will need when riding a mountain bike. Never underestimate the terrain that you will be traveling in.
- Make sure that you understand the pedals on the bike because they will be different from a traditional street bike.
- Know how to coast while on a mountain bike because it is different from that of a street bike. You will need to have your arms and knees set in a position that will allow you to absorb shock while hitting bumps on your trail.
- Understand how the gears operate and change while riding a mountain bike. Know when to adjust them while riding in specific situations and trails.
- Learn to stand while riding on a mountain bike and pedaling as it will give you greater control over the bike while riding up and down hills.
- Get a good feel of the bike as you ride around, and learn to master the bike and your skills.
When the research is done, use all of the relevant information to figure out what type of the best mountain bikes that will fit your lifestyle. What type of person you are will determine what type of riding you will want to do with your bike. It is best to figure out what your idea of mountain biking is, and to then go from there and to see what matches that idea of what you want to do with this sport.